In the last post I talked about being a little disappointed about having a C-section because it wasn't the birth that I had fantasized about. I finally got to a place where I made the decision to look at the situation in a more positive light - that getting my girl out healthy was/is my priority. If that meant a C-section, so be it.
Then, the bottom fell out.
I had my usual NST (non-stress test) on Friday. The nurse noticed that my blood pressure was high and that I had a lot of swelling in my legs, feet and hands. My blood pressure was monitored, but continued to increase, at which time they decided to do a blood panel and insert a catheter (can you say ouch!) to check for protein in my urine.
After an hour of waiting for results, my test came back normal. Well, almost- I had a high amount of glucose in my urine (like a crazy amount) and my platelets were low. I got a lecture on the glucose in the urine, because of the HUGE Dr. Pepper I had before arriving at the hospital. However, the most alarming thing was the platelet count of 102, which apparently is low. So, I was asked to come back on Monday, today, to get updated numbers.
Well, this morning I went and had my blood work done and this afternoon at my weekly appointment I was notified that all of my numbers looked okay except for my platelet numbers. They fell from 102 to 92. At first I didn't understand the severity of this until she told me that in order to get a spinal (which is needed for a C-section birth) the anesthesiologist needs my platelets to be over 100. When they're not, and your baby is breech- like my girl, the patient still has a C-section but under GENERAL ANETHESIA!
THAT MEANS THAT I WOULD BE KNOCKED OUT WHEN MY FIRST CHILD IS BEING BORN AND MY HUSBAND WOULDN'T BE ALLOWED IN EITHER!
I literally was speechless! I had to register what was just said. I literally could not believe this could be a possibility.
I immediately wanted to know what could be done. In my mind, this COULD NOT be an option. So, I was prescribed a steroid. The theory is that my body, due to hormones, could be attacking itself, the steroids could help up my platelet count (hopefully well above 100) and I could have a normal C-section. Which by the way sounds Sooooo good right now!
Long story short, I will start the steroids tonight. I will go back and have my blood drawn again on Wednesday, and at that point we'll have the discussion of what lies ahead.
Please pray that my platelet count rises. I can't fathom not hearing my child's first cry or being able to see her at the moment of her birth. I know that the object is a healthy baby. I just want some resemblance of a memory of what it was like to bring my heart, my EVERYTHING into this world.
Park City Utah
4 years ago
I am so sorry you are going through this. Praying that the steroids work even better than the doctors could hope for and that you will be able to enjoy the birth of your precious little one!
ReplyDeletePRAYING FOR YOU! The unknown has got to be the scariest part. Hopefully you will get good results on Wednesday & you can have an awake C-Section! Miss Taryn will be beautiful no matter what, though!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the encouraging words! I'm trying to think positive!
ReplyDeleteOh girly, what a crazy situation!! Hoping the steroids work, and you can have a normal csection:) thinking of you!
ReplyDelete