Monday, April 4, 2011

I'm Having a Biracial Baby

Duh- right?

Color has never been an issue for me.  I've always had friends of different races and color.  So, when I met, dated and married Mr. P- it was as natural to me as if I had married someone of my own ethnicity.

However, now that I'm pregnant, I do wonder about what Taryn will look like, and sometimes I even wonder how she'll be accepted and will she feel like she's different because she doesn't fit into one race category.  I know that won't be a problem in our household, but I can't predict how the world will choose to categorize her or make her feel.

Being African American, I know that even without the influence of her fathers racial background, her coloring could fall within a range of colors.  I sometimes wonder if she'll look more like me or her dad.  Will she have my almond shaped eyes, fuller lips and nose or look more like Mr. P- very fair, light eyes and straight hair?





I can honestly say that I'd love her regardless- what mother wouldn't?  I just hope that as her parents we can help her know that no matter how the world chooses to see her, that what matters most is how she views herself.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's gonna be beautiful!!! The best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Erica- I totally agree. I think your daughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete