This is my maternal Grandmother, Estella. She passed away when I was 15. My most vivid memories of her was in the kitchen cooking for all of her grandchildren who she kept daily since before I can remember.
She was like a 2nd mother to me. I loved and trusted her like no other. She was selfless and would do anything for anyone. Everyday, she made breakfast, lunch and an early dinner for us all. My favorite breakfast was grits and sugar toast. My favorite lunch was fried chicken and macaroni and cheese. She also made these sweet treats called tea cakes. They were best right out of the oven. She introduced me to turkey necks, fried liver and vienna sausage. I was such a picky eater. I still have no idea how she managed to get me to try new things, but I always did- with her.
For the holidays, we would all come over and her dining room table would be covered in desserts. There would be cakes in all of the colors and flavors you could think of. My favorite was the pink (strawberry) cake. She also made pies. We would eat, open gifts and just have a great time. That's what I remember most- just having a great time. Her house was a place that I never was in a rush to leave. With her, I just always remember being happy and feeling safe.
Today was grandparents day at school. As I looked at my students enjoying the company of their grandparents and feeling the movement in my belly, I thought about how I hoped that Taryn would know the kind of love and comfort I felt from my Granmothers. I hope that she has such a wonderful relationship with her grandparents that she feels the safety and security that I felt with mine. I hope that she wants to spend time with them and they with her. I pray that while in their company that she feels loved. So, loved that she isn't in a rush to leave because she knows that besides her parents, these are the poeple who love her most.

Oh how I love grandparents!! I love mine and my daughters has so many that love her! (and great and even a great-great grandpa!)
ReplyDeleteThis was a great post!
By the way you won on my blog today! A blog design from the Design Girl. I'm not sure of your email address though so can you please email me to claim your prize? babymakingmachine(at)gmail.com.
Sorry, one more thing! I just realzied you have a design by Danielle, which is totally cool. You can get another, haha! But let me know if you'd like to claim this prize within 48 hours please cause then I'll have to re-draw! Thanks mama! :)
ReplyDelete