Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Very Stressful Nonstress Test

I have started my NST's (nonstress test) and the first one was pretty uneventful.  Taryn did beautifully and I was hooked up to the fetal monitor for about 30 minutes and was set free and on my way in no time.

Well, today was my 2nd one and I thought it would be just like the previous time, very straight forward and simple... in and out procedure.  Uhmmm, not so much.  I came in and registered as usual.   After taking a quick restroom break, I came into the room and the nurse hooked me up to the monitor and left me quietly to myself while she monitored from the desk outside.

The next thing I know, she comes in to fix the monitor because Taryn has fallen off the monitor, so she had to find her heartrate again, which she did.  However, she returned about 4 other times because she wasn't seeing the acceleration pattern that she felt she should be seeing.  So, my half hour appointment turned into and hour and a half.  They had to "buzz" her (a sound wand to wake her up) a good 8 times in addition to having me drink 2 cups of apple juice to get the desired result and it still was a little sluggish. 

This made me extreemely nervous since the first time went flawlessly.  I asked the nurse was this "normal" and she said that at 35 weeks it wasn't a concern, but if I was 37-38 weeks it would have been different because they definitely would have wanted to see stronger and more destinct acceleration with movement.  So, I plan on talking with my OB about this at my appointment on Thursday.  I just want to make sure that everything is okay and that this isn't a precursor of something going wrong because of my gestational diabetes diagnosis.

I do have another NST appointment on Friday and although the nurse said that this isn't a test that you compare to one another, I'm hoping that I have another noneventful test like the first.

After leaving the hospital, I was a little tired, annoyed and worried about what had just occured at my appointment.  So, I just wanted to get home and rest.  My husband was so cute, he met me in the yard to make sure that everything was okay, even though I had spoken to him 7 times at the hospital and 3 times on the way home-LOL...  I made him take my picture in the front yard because I thought I looked fairly slim in this particular outfit, at least that's what I was told by a few of my 4th grade students (kids tend to speak the truth about these things).

I intended on taking a nap, but a hail storm popped up and my husband actually wanted me to get up, get dressed and bring his car to the gas station so that it wouldn't get hit by the hail.  After I picked my mouth up off the floor and stopped the steam from exploding from my ears, I basically told him to shove it-LOL.  There was no way I was going out in this:

He finally got home from putting gas in my car and he looked so pitiful because he didn't know the extent of the damage from the golf ball sized hail that had fallen for over 10 minutes.

He's still talking about it.  I politely, but firmly, told him that insurance was his friend and that he should call them ASAP.  But, that I didn't feel one ounce of guilt for what happened.  Is that bad?

1 comment:

  1. Oh those NST are no fun!! You girly are looking so great:) sorry about the hail biz, we had those huge storms when we lived in Texas, they are crazy!!

    ReplyDelete