Saturday, June 12, 2010

Charleston: Part I of Our first Anniversary

Wow, we're having a great time here in Charleston.  We decided to stop here and stay the night before heading to Savannah tomorrow.  We spent our honeymoon in Savannah and returning there a year later to celebrate where we first began is going to be Amazing.  In the meantime, here are a few pics of the fun we've had in Charleston.

First we ate at Magnolias.  I had the best fried chicken with creamed corn, mashed potatoes, green beans and of course a tall glass of sweet tea.  Sweet tea is one of  the southern luxuries that I love because up North there is no such thing unless you put the sugar in yourself.


We then, checked into the Govenors House Inn and stayed in the beautiful Independence room.  This is the room that Chelsea Clinton and her beau stayed in while visiting a few years ago. It was very charming and the bed was super comfy!


After quickly checking into our room, we headed out to explore the city.  We started off by taking a carriage ride to get aquainted with Charleston.  OMG, I fell in love with so many different homes on our tour. 

We then walked through the open air market and saw this very talented women making sweetgrass baskets.  Did you know that this is a West African tradition that came over with the slaves and has been passed down from generation to generation?   The Gulluh people (decendents of these West African Slaves) still continue this traditional art form.


We stopped at the pier and people watched for a while.  We also saw a huge cruise ship departing.  I was determined to get a lot of pictures of us together since I noticed that when we travel I always end up with shots of us alone.  This is due to the fact that I'm a frady cat and I don't like asking people to take our picture.  But, as you can see, I decided to put on the big girl panties and everyone I asked was more than happy to ablige.


This was just the beginning.  Wait until you hear what we did this evening.  Let's just say it involves an abandoned prison and ghosts... and people we have pictures!  Which by the way, is why I'm up typing at 1 am.... I'm scared to death to fall asleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment