Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Breastfeeding: Public Places Don't Scare Me


When I decided to breastfeed, doing so in public wasn't on my radar.

I'm pretty 'free' around our home with breastfreeding.  You can often find me expoxed and feeding/pumping and I'm not bashful about it at all.  My mom and nieces were here for a 2 week visit and I'm pretty sure that they have sufficiently been desensetized in this area.

However, in public, opinions regarding where and how a mother feeds seems to vary greatly.

First, let me start by saying that I have no problem feeding my baby wherever I happen to be.  Some people frown upon breastfeeding a baby anywhere other than a public bathroom.  However, I would never eat in a restroom.  Therefore, don't expect me to feed my baby in one!

That's probably why I got a few looks when in the middle of my lunch at the Olive Garden, I whipped out my modest cover and fed my hungry baby!  They are a 'family' resturant and they had no 'family area' to feed.  It's been hot as the devil here in the south and I wasn't about to take a trip to our car, and having my child sit hungry while I finished my meal was not an option.  So, I just let people look. 


I didn't feel bad about it at all... Public places don't scare me!

 If it's not a problem to bottle feed in public, why should the breast be any different?

No comments:

Post a Comment